January 29, 2017 27 Comments
It could be worse – I have the complete database – more than 1.7 million records – on my desktop and backed up off site. And I have a reasonably recent backup of the Joomla web site – I say reasonably because that’s when the problem started – back in March 2016. The company that had been hosting my web site was bought out in 2015 by another company. The current one I call Company F for the time being. Since I started my database back in 1992 there has been a progression of companies – the first went bust, the second (B) bought out by (C) and so on until the current – Company F.
My current urgent requirement:
- Recommendation of web hosting company for a Joomla web site (older version).
- Transfer my Domain Name to the new web host.
- Set up my Joomla web site complete with SQL database on the new web host.
My secondary requirement
- Convert the old Joomla web site to the latest version.
I’m not expecting this for nothing but I will need to set up some crowd funding to pay for it. And I can’t do that until I can get a realistic quote to do it!
I’ve sent out emails to some contacts who might know someone who might know someone who can help.
I’m waiting for Company F to return the USB to me – with a complete copy of my web site and database etc.
Why am I not still using Company F? NO CHOICE!
- After agreeing to become a Company F Customer – for supposedly less than I was being charged by Company E which they have now owned for almost 2 years – I had a Company F Customer Number.
- After pulling the plug on the server I was on, they promised to have it all up and running in the middle of January. DIDN’T HAPPEN.
- After promising to send me an email confirming they had done this – DIDN’T HAPPEN.
- Then Company F had the nerve to tell me I needed to find another web hosting company because this wasn’t their core business and they weren’t going to get my site up and running.
- Then they had the nerve to send me an invoice – to be taken directly out of my account – for a LARGE amount of money – for hosting my site!
And never trust companies, who buy out others, to tell the truth and honour any existing agreements!