We now have 1,223,897 records in the Geelong & District Database.
Why the red face? Because I set a target of 1,250,000 entries by the end of 2012. That’s only a little over 26,000 entries for the rest of the year – we MUST be able to achieve that and more.
Mind you, the entries added in this group have a BIG lump factor from existing records – we’ve included mothers from the Geelong & District Historical Association Church records for baptisms as well as marriages. The mothers listed in the baptisms in particular are a large number of entries as they’ve been created for mothers with their maiden name as well as mothers with their married names. We decided that would be beneficial where researchers knew the mothers first names but not their maiden name – conversely the benefit of showing mother’s with their maiden names would obviously also benefit researchers. Before people complain that we don’t show the child’s name in the same entry as the mother, please understand that we are not able to do that based on agreements made when we created the GDHA Church records database. In the end the decision was made to include separate entries for the parents rather than not to include them at all.
The other good news on the GDHA Church records database – a lot of work is being done on adding another 15+ years of baptisms for St Mary’s Roman Catholic church in Geelong – something many will look forward to. This is an ongoing project with many more entries to come.
This is what’s been added since the last update on 12 February:
- Geelong District: GDHA Church records – Baptisms [Mothers] – 101,124 entries
- Geelong District: GDHA Church records – Marriages [Mothers] – 17,982 entries
- Colac Shire: Rate Books 1863-64, 1865-66, 1867-68, 1868-69, 1870-71, 1885-86, 1896-97 [GRS 1393] – 9,857 entries
- Mt Moriac: Court of Petty Sessions – 1876, 1877 [VPRS 335] – 162 entries
- Geelong District: extracts from Crown Reserves Correspondence files [VPRS 242] – 150 entries
- Geelong District: Schools – pupils, prize winners etc from the Geelong Times 1874-1898 – 380 entries
- Gerangamete, Barwon Downs & Forrest: Names on parish plans [VPRS 16171] – 83 entries
- Geelong: Register of Seamen Engaged – 1856-1889 [VPRS 22] – 92 entries for 1857
- Geelong District: Reports of Felony and Stolen Horses – 1853 and 1858 [VPRS 124] – 103 entries
- Geelong District: Geelong Times – Admissions to Geelong Hospital – 1875 – 144 entries
Details on these indexes can be found in the Geelong & District Potpourri pages.
Don’t forget to check out your ancestors in the Geelong & District Database.
Leave a Reply