April 25, 2013 Leave a comment
Was your ancestor in Ballarat in 1869? Did they attend the opening of the completed facade and Fine Arts Exhibition by the Governor? Perhaps they’re in these images? What a wonderful thought! These beautiful images are of the Mechanics Institute, Sturt Street, Ballarat and its main hall – now called the Minerva Space.
You could follow in their footsteps and stand in this magnificent room – FREE!
Have a look at these golden opportunities – Friday 3rd May, 2.00 pm – 9.00 pm, Mechanics Institute, Ballarat:
- SPECIAL Ballarat history and genealogy exhibition – an associated event with the VAFHO State Conference. The Genealogical Society of Victoria will be participating in this exhibition as are many of the other conference exhibitors. This special exhibition is open to ANYONE – no registration required – and even better, it’s completely FREE. Why not enter the Poll for this event?
- The special exhibition is being held in the Minerva Space in the Mechanics Institute, Sturt Street, Ballarat. This is a great chance to see this magnificently restored room in the 1860s Mechanics Institute.
- You won’t often get this sort of Golden opportunity, so why not come along and visit us – you might even win one of the prizes on offer from the participating exhibitors.
There are more opportunities – not free but definitely a golden opportunity – Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th May, Australian Catholic University, Ballarat:
- Under the Southern Cross: A Goldfields Experience – the 8th Victorian State Family History Conference and Exhibition
- Saturday – 3.00 pm – Regional Victoria: A Goldfields Experience – Susie Zada [yes – that’s me!] presenting on the impact of the Victorian goldfields on regional Victoria. Of course the Geelong region will feature in this presentation and you will learn about resources that may help you find your elusive ancestors on the goldfields. Of course there is no guarantee you will find them but you’ll certainly gain a better understanding of what you might find.
See you there!