Australia Day additions to database
January 26, 2014 Leave a comment
This update includes a mixture of items – some adding to existing ones and others new. Because this lot includes both Assisted and Unassisted Immigrants to Geelong [actually Point Henry] it seemed appropriate to include this photo of the Geelong Citizens’ Bar Committee 1858-1861 – the group representing the citizens of Geelong to arrange the removal of the sandbar across the entrance to Corio Bay. This sandbar stopped ships carrying immigrants from overseas from sailing into Corio Bay and the wharves of Geelong. The end result was these ships dropping anchor east of Point Henry leaving the immigrants a long journey into Geelong.
Some members of the Bar Committee were William G McKELLAR, chairman; Frederick CHAMPION, vice-chairman; and Walter M HITCHCOCK, secretary]; Peter HUDDART; James Clark WALLACE; John MATTHEWS; George A STEPHEN; John NOBLE; and Captain F TROUTON.
We now have 1,486,217 records in the Geelong and District database. This is what’s been added since the last major update on 30 December 2013:
- Geelong District: Assisted Immigrants – limited PROV index – 244 entries
- Geelong District: Unassisted Immigrants – limited PROV index – 3,611 entries
- Geelong District: Nurses from the Victoria Government Gazette 1931-1933 – 322 entries
- Geelong District: Surnames of Interest – 18 entries
- Geelong District: Honour Boards – 1,404 entries
- Geelong Infirmary & Benevolent Asylum: Annual Report 1868 – 1,814 entries
And don’t forget to search again for your ancestors in the Geelong & District Database – they could have been in the last load of additions!