March 24, 2012 Leave a comment
Our latest major addition to the Geelong & District Database comes courtesy of Fred Walter and Heather Cox. Way back in 1990 they compiled and published the Index to the Admission Books of the Geelong Infirmary and Benevolent Asylum. They then provided this index free on their web site of the same name.
Now they have taken this a step further by giving us permission to include what we call a limited index of their web site in the Geelong & District Database. We call it “limited” because we have omitted the Admission number from our index. This number is the key to follow up further details and means you need to use their web site to obtain that key as well as read the explanation of the source of the index, how to use it and how to proceed further. The entries in the Geelong & District Database include the name, year and TAB on their website under which you’ll find the entry.
This isn’t the only addition to the Geelong & District Database since I posted the last lot of updates but it’s certainly one of the most signicant ones and a perfect example of the contributors to everyone who is researching in our region.
Another highlight in the latest additions – a great selection of Court Records for Steiglitz. This is just the start – there are more entries to come for people with ancestors at Steiglitz.
This is the list of additions since 4 March making a total of 1,256,871 entries in the database:
- Geelong District: Admission Books of the Geelong Infirmary and Benevolent Asylum – 12,594 entries
- Geelong District: GDHA Church records – St Mary’s RC church, Geelong 1873-1881 – Baptisms [inc. Fathers, Mothers & Sponsors] – 10,635 entries
- Geelong District: GDHA Church records – Wesleyan circuit, Geelong 1868 – Baptisms [inc. Fathers & Mothers] – 510 entries
- Colac Shire: Rate Books 1869-70, 1880-81, 1905-06 [GRS 1393] – 6,894 entries
- Steiglitz Courts: Petty Sessions Registers 1899, License Register 1862-64, Charge Book 1868-79 [VPRS 351] – 2,634 entries
- Book – Beacons of Hope: an early history of Cape Otway and King Island lighthouses – 546 entries
- Geelong District: names from the Geelong Advertiser [groups, prizes etc.] – 615 entries
- Geelong District: names from the Geelong Times [groups, prizes etc.] – 1,182 entries
Details on these indexes can be found in the Geelong & District Potpourri pages.
And don’t forget to search again for your ancestors in the Geelong & District Database – they could have been in the last load of additions!